Bury Archaeological Group

Est. 1953

Home Current Dig HISTORY PAST DIGS GALLERY Links Contact

Wind Hill (SD.83251495)


Two miles south east of Whitelow Hill the ruined cairn at Wind Hill stood 298m above OD, dominated on the north and south by Knowl Moor and the summit of Wind Hill respectively.  Eastern and western aspects were open, the latter containing headwaters of Cheesdon Brook.


The cairn remains measured 10.45m in diameter with a maximum height of 0.75m. A cist of coursed sandstone attached to the east side of the cairn gave the whole a squat pear shape. Central and western parts of the monument were almost completely denuded, whereas it’s east side fared better from the protection of an overlying field wall.


In the main cairn a layer of closely-set stones, laid in a concentric pattern, formed a floor round a damaged, circular or oval setting of larger stones. Among the stones were a pebble hammer and a flint knife.  A flint scraper and ‘V’ bored jet button found near the oval setting may have belonged to the same context, possibly grave goods, belonging to a surface inhumation. The satellite cist contained a lining of cotton sedge and a few waste flint flakes.  No human remains were found.


Refs:  Tyson. N.  “Excavation of a Cairn at Wind Hill, Heywood, Lancashire”.  The Greater Manchester Archaeological Group, Publications No. 1  (1980) pp. 7-22.


Barnes. B.  “Man and the Changing Landscape”. Merseyside County  Council/Merseyside Museums. University of Liverpool Department of  Prehistoric Archaeology (1982) pp. 107-8,125


Download Report